Can you tell if a cat will be friendly, aggressive or laid-back simply by taking a quick look at its color? That question has perplexed cat owners and scientists alike for years. Although it's pos ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Swine Flu: What it is and what it isn't
· Despite its name, there is no evidence to date that this particular virus originated in pigs or is spread from pigs to people.
· Even though there is no evidence this new virus is found in pigs, swine practitioners have stepped up their surveillance.
· There is no reason to question the safety of your food.
o While there is no evidence this virus has been found in pigs, even if it were, proper preparation would kill the virus.
o As always, practice proper food hygiene when preparing meals.
· This virus is spread from person to person.
· The incubation period is estimated at 1 to 8 days, typically about 48 hours.
· Be vigilant. Visit your physician if you experience flu-like symptoms.
· Visit www.AVMA.org for FAQ's on H1N1 Flu virus.
Links to More Information about Swine Flu
American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV)
World Health Organization (WHO)