Many of the same health problems that affect us, including hearing loss, also affect our pets. Fortunately, most pets adapt very well to the disability with a little help from their owners.View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Swine Flu: What it is and what it isn't
· Despite its name, there is no evidence to date that this particular virus originated in pigs or is spread from pigs to people.
· Even though there is no evidence this new virus is found in pigs, swine practitioners have stepped up their surveillance.
· There is no reason to question the safety of your food.
o While there is no evidence this virus has been found in pigs, even if it were, proper preparation would kill the virus.
o As always, practice proper food hygiene when preparing meals.
· This virus is spread from person to person.
· The incubation period is estimated at 1 to 8 days, typically about 48 hours.
· Be vigilant. Visit your physician if you experience flu-like symptoms.
· Visit www.AVMA.org for FAQ's on H1N1 Flu virus.
Links to More Information about Swine Flu
American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV)
World Health Organization (WHO)